Sunday, May 25, 2008

The purpose of licking one's nose

I've received my first grant funding!

It's from Dad. He's asked me to do a study to find out why dogs lick their noses. In return, he's going to give me two cups of dog food every single day.

Here's an example of the behavior I'm studying. (This isn't me. This is Otis. I don't know Otis, but his dad takes excellent pictures.)



I've already done the literature review, which revealed several contradictory theories:

1. Dogs lick things they like, ergo we must lick our noses because we like them. Personally, I feel neutral about my nose. Can't see it, for one thing.

2. "DOGS WHO REPEATEDLY FLICK THEIR TONGUE UP TO LICK THEIR NOSE ARE INVARIABLY UNEASY. " This veterinarian apparently feels very strongly that her theory is the correct one. However, I lick my nose, and I'm not uneasy in the least. I'm extremely easy. Unless you're trying to come in the back door. Then I'm still easy, only in a louder way.

3. Dogs lick their noses to calm strangers. So it's the strangers who are uneasy. Hmmm. Valium would be more effective.

4. Dogs lick their noses to avert the pain of annoying music. It's hard to see how nose-licking would neutralize "Yakety Sax." Actually, I doubt that anything can neutralize "Yakety Sax." However, this dog, being both black and long-haired, is clearly at a problem-solving disadvantage.

5. Peanut butter.

I'm keeping my hypothesis secret so as not to skew the results.

Dear readers, if you would be so kind, please answer the following carefully-worded research question:

WHY DO YOU LICK YOUR NOSE?

I will analyz/se the results and post them here. As an incentive for participation in this study, you will receive one piece of Canidae kibble by mail. Or nothing, in the event that I don't have your address. Or stamps, come to think of it. I never have stamps when I need them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello buster its dennis the vizsla dog i lik my noze becuz mama and dada cut off wot i yoozd to lik wich wuz my --- hey dada why ar yoo shooing me away from the keyboard im not dun typin yet!!!

Charlie said...

Hrm, I've not really given any thought to *why* I lick my nose... Maybe it's just cos it is there - so close to my tongue - that I can't avoid it?

Brisztow Jones said...

Buster -

Clearly you haven't trained your dad very well or else he wouldn't need to fund your study.

Licking my nose clearly indicates that mom should get up, go into the kitchen and give me a salmon treat, or a biscuit, or a bully stick, or a raw hide, or...

I think you get the point.

Mom doesn't even KNOW she's trained. That is how good I am.

Wuff,
Brisztow Jones.

Laila said...

Why do I lick my nose?

(1) To tell my mom that her food looks yummy - give me a taste!;
(2) to wipe off my mom's kisses - can you believe that she kisses my nose?;
(3) to make sure I haven't left any nibblets of food on my face;
(4) and to check and make sure my nose is still there!

Good luck on your study!
Licks, Laila

Anonymous said...

Why do I lick my nose?

Well there are several reasons but at them moment it is because its all bloody (don't tell anyone but I quite like the taste :) )

Otherwise it is because I am trying to kiss my mum but she always seems to move away just as I get near. Not quite sure why I think my breath smells lovely.

On the other hand it may be because I can smell something yummy.

Or mum is training me with Primula squeezy cheese which gets all around my mouth so I have to make sure I get every last bit.

Andrew Campbell said...

Momo and Jozsi think #5 is correct. They really lick their noses when they get peanut butter stuck on a whisker or two. But then again, they really only get peanut butter when their dad has to hide medicine in there. So maybe they only lick their noses when dad thinks they're sick or injured.

Keep up the research. Stockholm will be calling.

Sincerely,
A+M+M+J

Buster the Vizsla said...

Dear members of my increasing N--

Lovely data!

Denni$: Your response reminds me of something... something I used to have... ah well, I can't recall what it was.

Young Charles: You might consider avoiding the area around Mt. Everest.

Ms. Brisztow: I stand in awe of your training skills. I feel extremely left coastal.

Ms. Laila: Multiple theories. Very nice! And also nice to meet you.

Ms. Zigana: I don't know what Primula squeezy cheese is, but the very sound of it makes my mouth water. (also extremely sorry the nosebleeds continue)

Math family: The 'perceived injury or illness' theory. Haven't seen that written up anywhere. Very exciting!

Appreciatively yrs.,
B3

Delilah and Rocket said...

I lick my nose 'cause mom & dad feed me the most awsome food! I have to lick my nose/whiskers to make sure I get every morsel of it. I especially like the tuna in oil...... YUM!