Friday, March 14, 2008

Conference proceedings

Today, I went to a conference. I commuted to Portland to attend a gathering of dog scientists.

The topic was irrelevant. You've been to conferences, I'm sure, so you know that going to a conference isn't about the presentations. It's all about the networking. Who just got a million dollar grant, whose funding is drying up, where an endowed chair is in the works. That's the good stuff--you can read the rest of it in the proceedings.

Like the previous conferences I've attended, this one was held at the conference center on Martin Luther King Boulevard.



It's a spacious facility--wait a second! Wrong picture. Next slide, please.













My meeting was at the other conference center on MLK. As I was saying, it's a spacious facility. Plenty of room for networking. My colleagues were there, of course...



but the most pleasurable aspect of networking is with some of the conference staff. One conference staff person, in particular.



Pay no attention to the scientist on the right. I have it on very good authority that he lied about doing post-doc work at Stanford. In fact...



That's better. To tell the truth, she's the only reason I enjoy going to conferences at all.

5 comments:

Kevin Olson said...

2 Paws up!!!

my name is ruby and like you ...i have mastered computer typing....of course it takes me a while cause its one letter at a time.

i live outside portland on a 5 acres place w 4 neurotic (i had to spell check that sucker) cats and 2 humans.

they say i am 11 months dont know what they are talking about there

so say hi to me sometimes...i get to see my twin sister roxy once in a while....otherwise...its krazy here....

Kevin Olson said...

opps my paw hit send before i was ready....stupid big paw.

okay now i am ready

bye

ruby

ps - i want more sunny days to play dont you?

Buster the Vizsla said...

My dear Ms. Ruby--
What a prodigy you are! Typing at only 11 months. You should definitely consider a career in science.

Yrs. truly,
B3

Kevin Olson said...

nah..... whats science?

all i know is running after deer..that come in my yard and birds....ohhhh I LOVE BIRDS (had to ask my owner how to capitalize dat).

but most the time ...i am just running around and sleeping....those are my two favorite things to do..eat..two..that is three things..

email me sometime and i will send you my picture....

woof woof...
ruby

oh yeah i bark at people when they come over..but then i cant help it..i start to lick them..am i strange??? maybe i should see a doctor bout that...

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello buster its dennis the vizsla dog wow thats a div .. diver ... thats a lot of diffrent luking colleegs yoo got ther must be a-fur-mative akshun or sumthing ok bye